The Feed Technology Center, completed in early 2021, accelerates scientific discovery in feed science, grain storage and processing, and feed and pet food manufacturing. The unit supports groundbreaking nutrition research, fosters productive relationships with industry, and allows students to learn by doing through classes, internships, and part-time employment opportunities.
Feed Technology Center Capabilities
The Feed Technology Center comprises a myriad of interdependent capabilities integrated to provide full system services ranging from grain storage to milling and bagging.
- Education—Illinois animal nutrition scientists and hundreds of undergraduate and graduate students will take advantage of the facility’s capabilities to design and test healthy, efficient diets for livestock, poultry, and companion animals. Additional educational opportunities include continuing education and workshops for feed industry employees.
- Storage of Grains and Feed Ingredients—Three GSI 42-foot, 15-ring bins with accessories including power bin sweeps, fans, sidewall stairs, and full peak walkaround, in addition to one GSI 10,000-bushel wet bin.
- Ingredient Processing—Capabilities include grinding, pre-mixing, mixing, pelleting, crumbling, bagging, delivery of research animal diets, and a standalone extrusion line. Equipment includes 14 ingredient bins able to hold 28,000 cubic feet. A multi-channel, inline near infrared (NIR) system will monitor the compositional quality of feed ingredients in real time.
- Digitally Connected Facility—Cutting-edge software automating, managing, and optimizing mill performance and sustainability provide new tools for feed mill operators, researchers, and animal producers. Modern equipment allows for precise diet formulations.
- Personnel—Support from technical experts and the vast human capital found in the University’s faculty.
- Safety—Safety of those working in the facility, as well as biosecurity of feedstuffs, are a high priority. All equipment and spaces are designed for total cleanout and sanitation between products to fully comply with FDA regulations and manufacturing practices. In addition, the facility is fully equipped with 21st century safety features such as sidewall stairs on storage bins. Security protects feed ingredients and the animals that will consume diets formulated in the Feed Technology Center.
To learn more about expanding scientific discovery and the Feed Technology Center, please contact the ACES Office of Advancement.
4495 South Race Street
Urbana, IL 61802