Will I get accepted into the Department of Animal Sciences?
We look at several factors on a student’s application. Those factors are ACT/SAT, overall GPA/class rank, rigor of high school program, extra-curricular activities, and the essay. We take all of these things into consideration when evaluating a student’s fit. Please contact us or schedule a visit to learn more.

I took AP classes in high school. How will they transfer?
Learn more at the University of Illinois AP transfer page to see what classes will transfer. However, it’s important to understand your advisor may advise you to take a class you already received credit for because it is important for the series you must take or your future career plans. Your academic advisor will help guide you through those decisions when you register for classes.

Will actual professors teach my classes? Or will they be taught by teaching assistants (TAs)?
In animal sciences, almost all of our classes are taught by professors. For the most part, our TAs assist in lab work and grading in some of our larger classes.

How many students will be in my graduating class?
We have about 530 undergraduates in our department. In the last five years, our average incoming first-year class size has been 115 students. Our average graduating class has been about 150. This increase is largely due to transfer students.

What are class sizes like?
We do our best in the Department of Animal Sciences to keep our class sizes relatively small. We try to make hands-on classes available to all of our students and to do that, we have to keep our class sizes small. We do have a few large lecture-type classes required of our students, but in many of those classes we do offer lab sections which have very small class sizes.

Do we actually get to work with animals in class?
We do our best to offer as many hands-on classes as we can. These hands-on classes start as early as first semester of your first year and are available throughout your time on campus.

Do you have a farm?
The Department of Animal Sciences owns and manages six farms. We have a beef and sheep unit, a poultry unit, two swine units, a horse unit, and dairy unit. We use these farms for teaching and research. We also employ many of our undergraduate students. This not only provides supplemental income or helps in a work-study program, but also helps students like you gain valuable animal experiences.

How do I transfer into the Department of Animal Sciences at the University of Illinois?
Visit the Office of the Registrar to see about specific transfer requirements.

We would also love for you to set up a visit to the Department of Animal Sciences to talk about our program and the opportunities you have here.

Do you have online classes?
We do offer a few online classes. However, you cannot receive a degree in animal sciences with only online classes. Most of the classes to complete a degree must be completed on campus.

What are my concentration options? Can I change my concentration?
We offer three concentrations in animal sciences:

It is very easy to change concentrations, and you will work with your advisor to do so.

How do I apply to the Department of Animal Sciences?
Visit our admissions website to apply. When filling out your application, you will specify animal sciences as your first choice for admittance.

What are my career options with an animal sciences Degree?
Visit our careers page to read about some of the specific careers our alumni have. Our students have many career options in animal sciences from veterinary medicine, to animal production, to humane education. We prepare our students for many career opportunities depending on their interests and goals.

Is the Department of Animal Sciences the same thing as veterinary medicine?
No, a degree in animal sciences is not the same thing as having a degree in veterinary medicine. Before students can go to vet school, they must complete a bachelor’s degree. Animal sciences is a very good option for students who want to pursue a degree in veterinary medicine. However, we do not guarantee admittance into vet school with a degree from our program.

Applying to vet school is very much the same as applying for your undergraduate degree. You must apply to vet school, usually in your senior year of your undergraduate program, and get accepted. University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine is the only vet school in the state of Illinois. Our students have many opportunities to work, shadow, or volunteer there.

Do I have to get an animal sciences degree to get into vet school?
No. Any undergraduate degree is acceptable for pursuing vet school if you completed the entrance requirements. In animals sciences, we do a great job preparing students for not only their future in vet school, but also provide a wonderful alternative for students who decide vet school is not for them but still want a career in the animal industry.

Are scholarships available?
Yes. Many scholarships are available for animal sciences students. Animal sciences students qualify for departmental scholarships as well as College of ACES scholarships.

As first-year students, your application to the U of I will be your scholarship application for all College of ACES scholarships. Visit the ACES Office of Academic Programs website to learn more about those scholarships.

In addition to the ones listed, the College of ACES also has one merit-based scholarship which you must apply for separately, the Jonathan Baldwin Turner Scholarship.

The Department of Animal Sciences also awards scholarship money. However, these scholarships are only available to current animal sciences students. You will apply for those scholarships in your first year, not prior to. You can see a list of those scholarships and application information on our Scholarships and Honors page.